Wednesday, April 24, 2013

We saw Dr. Haeri again today, and Emma is still thriving like the little fighter she is! Her lungs and heart are still strong, and the shunts are still in place so there is very little fluid in her. Our main concern right now, is that the fluid around her has increased, so that raises the possibility of me going into pre-term labor. To give you an idea of how much extra fluid is around her, I am almost 27 weeks along, and my belly is measuring to be the size of 33 weeks. Because of this, I had my first steroid shot today to help Emma's organs develop faster and stronger. I will have another shot tomorrow, then the second round of shots in a few weeks. There are no risks to Emma, only benefits! After the 2nd round of steroid shots, Dr. Haeri will discuss with us the possibility of using a needle to remove some of the fluid, just like when I had the amniocentesis done. Our next big milestone is 28 weeks, because the chances of premature babies surviving goes up to 90%!

We can't put into words how much we appreciate all of your continued prayers. We have so much to be thankful for, and it all starts with my OBGYN, Dr. Michel, finding the extra fluid and referring us to Dr. Haeri. Unfortunately, there are many cases where the OB doesn't give their patient any hope, but instead just tells them the baby is going to pass away. Hydrops is a very rare disease, and the statistics show that 50% of unborn babies with hydrops do not survive. God placed us in the hands of a wonderful doctor who believes that every baby deserves a chance, and every parent deserves hope. Looking back 2 months ago when we found out there was extra fluid, and seeing how far Emma has come, defying all the odds along the way, there is no doubt that God has a very special plan for her. Sadly, there are many people that would choose to terminate their pregnancy if they were in my situation. I am thankful that my husband and I both agree that God creates every baby for a purpose, and regardless of any complications, we are going to fight for Emma's life. She proves every single day what a miracle she is!

2 comments:

  1. Always glad to get an update on Emma Grace and on you, Candace! This is such good news! We give thanks that Emma Grace is in a protected place because her mom and dad love the Lord! We continue to pray. Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my sweet Candace. I am so proud of you and Justin! What incredible parents you are and such an amazing example of complete faith & trust in the Lord. God will never fail you and Emma Grace is absolute proof of His powerful love & mercy for those who simply believe in Him. There is no doubt in my mind that God has great plans for Emma Grace and through your blog, she has already had an impact on many, many lives. Love you all & will continue to lift you up in my daily prayers!!!! Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete