Monday, March 18, 2013

Our Next Step

We saw the doctor today and Emma's fluid levels are continuing to increase, so Justin and I have decided to move forward and have a shunt put in Emma to drain the fluid. Our doctor feels that it is better to do sooner rather than later, because this is a crucial time for Emma's lungs to form, and right now they are unable to grow because of all the fluid around the lungs. This procedure is scheduled for Thursday at 5:00 p.m. There is an overall 30% chance of something going wrong, such as breaking my water or this adding stress to Emma's heart causing her to pass away, but as parents, we want to do anything that can help  give Emma a stronger chance of surviving. If I had to deliver Emma without having a shunt put in prior, she would not survive because her lungs have not formed. The risks to me are very minimal, but they would still like to keep me in the hospital overnight to monitor me and Emma. I will also need to be on bed rest for a week after the procedure, so Justin will stay home with me and take care of Laney.

There are many hopeful things that can come from this procedure. While putting the shunt in, the doctor will also draw fluid from Emma to have tested. If any of the tests come back positive, we are closer to determining the cause to her hydrops, which means we could possibly treat her in other ways. As always, we are praying for a miracle, but if that is not in God's plan, we are praying that something would be revealed and we could find a way to treat Emma. This case is one of the most difficult for doctors, because they are unable to provide answers, but I know our answers come from God, so our job is to be patient and put all of our faith and trust in Him.

Justin and I feel so blessed to have such wonderful family, church family, and friends supporting us and praying for Emma. Our community group from Northpoint Church came to our house for 15 minutes Friday night just to lay hands on us and pray over us. These authentic relationships we have formed in the last few years have blessed our lives in so many ways, and we know God was present during that prayer time. I was also blessed this weekend to have my sister Lyndsey and one of my best friends Ashley drive down from Dallas just to be by my side and love on me during this difficult time. Justin has been such a rock for me to lean on, and I am so thankful to have such a loving and caring husband in good times and bad. God has been so faithful in our lives so trusting in Him to carry us through this comes as an easy task for us.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you guys all day today. I hope everything with the procedure goes well and will be praying real hard all the way here in Seattle. Let me know if there's anything I can do at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, my family & our small group are praying for you all! Thank you for your posts! God is all powerful and he can do ANYTHING! I am trusting in Him!

    ReplyDelete