Friday, March 22, 2013

Home!

Emma Grace has proven she is a little fighter, and she is doing great! The nurse came in every few hours overnight to listen to her little heart beating strong! Dr. Haeri came in this morning to do an ultrasound, to make sure Emma's shunts are still in place, and to refresh my memory on the procedure last night.

Before the procedure, one nurse after another shared comments such as "You're in great hands! Dr. Haeri is the best there is." The ultrasound before the procedure showed that Emma's swallowing was being hindered by the extra fluid, so it became even more evident that we needed to do this now! We have received much confirmation that this was the right thing to do, and this was the doctor to do it.

When they got me into the operating room and looked at Emma on the ultrasound, she was in the perfect position, so the anesthesiologist quickly "drugged me" and I went right to sleep. As previously posted, it was most important to put the shunt in Emma's left side first, so it could drain the fluid from around her heart and lungs. Dr. Haeri said he was about a millimeter away from her heart (during which time everyone in the OR was holding their breaths), so once the shunt was in place he got out of there quickly and wasn't able to draw any fluid for testing. We would much rather him be safe than take an unnecessary risk. After the left shunt was in place he had to roll Emma over to do the right shunt. She is already proving to be a stubborn second born (just like her mommy!), because she didn't make it easy on the doctor, but he managed to roll her over and get the shunt in place. The next 15 minutes following the procedure were the most important, because they would be able to tell if her heart is staying strong enough and if the shunts are working and the fluid is draining properly. I was woken up with the most wonderful news: the fluid around Emma's lungs had drained, her lungs had already expanded, and her perfect little heart had moved to the correct spot. PRAISE GOD! I just laid there and wept tears of joy. Our God is SO mighty and powerful, and I am so grateful that He answered our prayers for Emma Grace. There is still fluid in her belly, but that should go away on its own, or if not, it can easily be drained after she is born. It is not anything to worry about now. We will continue to see Dr. Haeri weekly to check on Emma and to make sure she has not pulled out the shunts. By doing this procedure to insert the shunts, Emma's chances of surviving went from 15% to 70%. That is priceless!

Your continued prayers are much appreciated, as there are still complications that could arise. God has proven over and over again that He is in control, that He guided the doctor during the procedure, and that He is holding Emma in His mighty hands!

Psalm 139:13-16 

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

1 comment:

  1. SO HAPPY! You/God bring tears to my eyes reading this post! GOD IS SO GOOD!!! I know God is taking care of Emma and am keeping her and you in my prayers continually! I read this recently: If what you are facing is not God-sent, it will be God used!

    ReplyDelete